Outdoor furniture for hotels in Florida is a huge market. Florida is a very popular and long-established tourist destination, and hotels in the state must be prepared to accommodate guests who want to enjoy the outdoors. Outdoor furniture is an essential part of any hotel’s exterior space, and it’s important to choose furniture that is durable, weather-resistant, scalable, and has the right aesthetics, too.
Outdoor Furniture for Florida Hotels
Okay, so everyone knows that Florida is renowned for its stunning beaches, warm climate, and due to these characteristics, a thriving hospitality industry. As hotels strive to create memorable experiences for their guests, outdoor spaces have become an essential element in their design.
From poolside lounging to alfresco dining, investing in high-quality outdoor furniture is crucial for hotels in Florida. Below, we’ll take the time to explore the key considerations for hotels when purchasing outdoor furniture, the scope of the hotel market in the state, the differences between commercial and residential outdoor furniture, suggested replacement cycles, popular furniture sets, the flexibility of modular seating, and the best deck and lounge chairs for a more complete picture.
Considerations Florida Hotels Need to Take into Account
When purchasing outdoor furniture for a hotel, there are a few key factors to consider. These mostly revolve around three key qualities, which include longevity, climate durability, and the ability to scale. So, let’s take a more detailed look at those considerations:
- Durability: Given Florida’s year-round sunshine and occasional tropical storms, hotels must prioritize durability when selecting outdoor furniture. Materials such as aluminum, teak, wrought iron, and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) are popular choices due to their resistance to corrosion, fading, and cracking.
- Weather resistance: Florida’s climate outright demands furniture that is able to withstand high humidity, intense sunlight, and occasional heavy rains – especially during the long summer months. Opt for weather-resistant fabrics that are UV-protected, quick-drying, and mold-resistant to ensure longevity.
- Scalability: Hotels must consider the scalability of their outdoor furniture. Depending on the size and layout of the outdoor spaces, furniture should be selected to accommodate varying capacities, from intimate gatherings to large-scale events.
Lastly, aesthetics must also be taken into account. The furniture should flow with the overall theme and design so it fits in nicely and doesn’t clash. Fortunately, there are many choices that have the above qualities and good looks.
The Florida Hotel Market
Now that we’ve covered what to look for, let’s get into a few particulars about the state of the hotel market in the Sunshine State. Florida boasts a vibrant hotel market, attracting millions of tourists each year. From luxury resorts in Miami Beach to family-friendly hotels in Orlando, the diversity of the market necessitates a wide range of outdoor furniture options to suit different styles and budgets.
As of January 2023, there were more than 483,000 rooms in Florida spread over 4,500+ properties. In short, tourism plays a critical role in Florida’s overall economy, especially in coastal cities like Tampa / Clearwater / St. Petersburg.
According to the most recent data available, about twenty-five new hotels are planned to open across Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Palm Beach County, Orlando, and elsewhere around the peninsula over the next two years. (Of course, these are tentative and not necessarily indicative of the actual number.)
Commercial Outdoor Furniture vs Residential Furniture: What’s the Difference?
Alright, with those figures in mind, it’s equally important to understand the critical differences between commercial and residential products. Commercial outdoor furniture is specifically engineered for the demands of hospitality settings. It undergoes rigorous testing to ensure it meets safety and durability standards. Residential furniture, on the other hand, is intended for personal use and lacks the robust construction required for commercial environments. Hotels should always invest in commercial-grade outdoor furniture to ensure longevity and guest satisfaction.
So, commercial outdoor furniture is designed to withstand extremely heavy daily use. It’s made from durable materials that can withstand the elements, and it’s built to last. Residential outdoor furniture, on the other hand, is not designed for the same level of use. It’s often made from less durable materials, and it may not be as well-built. So, this is why commercial furniture is a must for hospitality, retail, and other businesses.
How Often Should a Hotel Refresh or Replace its Outdoor Furniture?
The frequency with which hotels should replace their outdoor furniture depends on a number of factors, including the type of furniture, the climate, and the level of use. Regular maintenance and replacement of outdoor furniture are essential to preserve the hotel’s aesthetic appeal and uphold guest comfort.
While replacement cycles may vary depending on factors such as usage, climate, and quality of furniture, a general guideline suggests replacing outdoor furniture every 5-7 years to maintain a fresh and inviting outdoor atmosphere. This also coincides with a few other elements that need attention during the same intervals.
Most Popular Outdoor Furniture Sets for Florida Hotels
The most popular outdoor furniture sets for Florida hotels probably won’t come as much of a surprise. They meet all the right checklist needs and include such materials as wicker and rattan, aluminum, teak, and HDPE:
- Wicker and rattan: Wicker and rattan furniture sets exude a tropical charm, making them a popular choice for Florida hotels. Their natural aesthetic blends well with the surrounding environment while providing comfort and durability.
- Aluminum: Lightweight and resistant to rust, aluminum furniture sets are easy to maintain and ideal for poolside areas. They often feature sleek designs and can be paired with vibrant cushions for a modern look.
- Teak: Known for its natural beauty and weather resistance, teak furniture sets are a timeless option. They develop a silver patina over time, adding character to outdoor spaces.
Another popular choice is HDPE or High-Density Polyethylene. This synthetic material mimics the look of natural wicker but offers enhanced durability and resistance to fading, staining, and mildew. HDPE furniture sets are low-maintenance and perfect for high-traffic areas.
How Modular Seating Provides Flexibility
Modular seating provides more flexibility for hotels because it can be easily arranged to create different seating configurations. For example, modular seating can be arranged to create a conversation area, a dining area, or a sunbathing area.
Modular seating arrangements provide hotels with the flexibility to adapt their outdoor spaces to various events and guest preferences. These versatile furniture pieces can be rearranged to create different seating configurations, allowing for intimate conversations or larger gatherings. Hotels can mix and match modular components such as corner units, ottomans, and armless chairs to create customized seating arrangements that optimize space and comfort.
Best Deck and Lounge Chair Options for Florida Hotels
The best deck and lounge chairs for Florida hotels are those that are comfortable, durable, and weather-resistant. Some of the best options include:
- Chaise lounges: Chaise lounges are a staple in Florida hotel outdoor spaces. Look for models with adjustable backrests, durable frames, and quick-drying cushions for ultimate relaxation by the poolside.
- Adirondack chairs: Adirondack chairs offer a classic and comfortable seating option. Made from materials like teak or HDPE Poly, they are well-suited for beachfront areas, providing a laid-back atmosphere for guests to enjoy the coastal views.
- Hanging chairs: For a unique and relaxing experience, hanging chairs are gaining popularity in outdoor spaces. These suspended seats provide a cozy spot for guests to unwind while adding a touch of whimsy to the ambiance.
Hotels can also opt to go with a combination of these in order to provide guests with more options and their personal favorites so they return time and again when they come back to the area for future visits.
Here’s How it All Wraps-Up
Outdoor spaces play a significant role in the overall guest experience at hotels in Florida. By carefully considering durability, weather resistance, scalability, and the unique demands of the local market, hotels can select outdoor furniture that enhances their guests’ comfort and satisfaction.
From modular seating arrangements to popular furniture sets, Florida hotels have a wide range of options to create inviting outdoor environments that embody the state’s natural beauty and provide memorable moments for their guests. With this information, it’s possible to narrow down the many choices and select outdoor furniture that will make a good fit in more ways than one.
About Patio Casual
Based in Clearwater, FL, Patio Casual serves hotels, apartments, and condo communities across the entire Tampa Bay metro area. Patio Casual is a family-owned business that started in 2014 with the goal of offering the largest selection of high quality patio furniture at reasonable prices. To schedule a consultation with Patio Casual, please complete the inquiry web form on our Commercial Outdoor Furniture page.